- Created on Wednesday, 28 March 2012 17:16
- Last Updated on Saturday, 31 March 2012 02:28
AutoTweet NG, available from http://www.1st-movers.com, posts the title and URL of newly posted Joomla articles, forum posts and other Joomla content to Twitter (or Facebook, Email accounts and other social channels) as a status message. This article refers to the non-commercial, free version, which has the following limitations.
- Channels are limited to 2 channels. So you can create 2 channels only.
- Only Twitter and Facebook are supported. No support for other channels.
- No support for "Use own App/API"-Feature.
- No support for Yourls.
- No cronjob support.
- No support for direct messages.
- Only the Content-Extension plugin is available for free (All other plugins are included in the subscription for the Pro version).
The installation notes are from an installation on Joomla 1.7
The extension manager, as usual, is used to locate and install the component, which in this case is wrapped in the compressed pkg_autotweet.zip file.
A successful installation is indicated in the info box along with a reminder to customise the AutoTweetNG options in the parameters window.
To configure the AutoTweetNG component it is necessary to navigate to the "Components" sub-menu item and locate the AutoTweetNG (Pro?) component. The "channels" sub-item is used to customise a social media channel.
The left-half of the add channel dialog can be seen in the figure above and is quite self explanatory.
The right-half of the add channel dialog requires a Twitter token and Token secret. These can be found on the page that appears after clicking on the "Authorize application and grant permissions" button and then authorising the twitter app.
Does a tweet appear after publishing this article? Well, yes it does. Initially, I thought that there was a conflict with jTweet, which I use to display a list of my most recent tweets on the Bulletin page, but it turned out not to be the case. So far AutoTweetNG works as expected, as can be seen in the figure below.